The quilt measures 64" x 71"


Virginia Slowik, ATCMNY Rescue Coordinator writes: Just around Christmas 2012, Maggie was to be given to rescue. Her Mom had another big Airedale and Maggie. Maggie was a sweet girl with adult people but she hated other female dogs and was unpredictable around little children. (This fact was disclosed long after her surrender.)

Maggie May with her original owner
Rescue visited her and walked her with her Mom. She was a handful but was fine as long as she did not encounter another female. When she reacted, it was a strong and aggressive, but with a strong correction, she would behave. She was insecure for sure. She loved her Aire brother and she loved her Mom. Her Mom was an artist who did not have a lot of money and she said she could not afford to keep paying for trainers who “could not fix her.”

In the spring of 2013, when it was time for surrender, there were many tears and it was then disclosed she might have a bladder leakage issue. The medication she was on “should control the minor problem.” I assured her we would keep in close touch with the new Mom and/or Dad and she will find a forever home. Her Mom called me almost every day for weeks and that was a challenge.

Where Am I Going?
Rescue had a few regional applicants, but only one was a fully experienced person who did not work and did not have little children at home. This woman tried to get dogs from other groups outside our region; as it turned out, it is a good thing that she did not get one from another region. She wanted to take Maggie in. When we met with Maggie for the home visit, it did not seem to click. Maggie was fine, it was the woman. But she wanted to keep her and I said you may foster her and we can see how it goes.

When I was leaving I had my little voice say "it is not going to work." Twenty-four hours later, I got a call and she had decided she did not like Maggie. Maggie was not like her last Airedale and she had too many issues. So Maggie came to live with us for awhile. She was thriving in our foster care. She was gaining confidence, and listened very well to correction. She was still female dog aggressive plus we have a day care next door, and we were concerned about the little ones who kept sticking their fingers under the fence.  
She also scratched the heck out of my door when left alone. So now we add separation anxiety into the mix, along with female dog aggression and the dreaded bladder leak and the fact that she cannot be placed with anyone who has or gets visits from kids.
Maggie May with foster pal. Basil,
who shared his home, bed & toys

After about 6 weeks, we were advised of a possible situation a few hundred miles away. A retired man  had a big, beautiful Aireboy, who wanted a sister. He had ADT experience and over an acre, fully fenced. We shared many videos, pictures and conversations and about two weeks later we decided to drive down and give it a try.  Fortunately there was an ATCMNY member who lived in the area and knew John and did a home visit. Since she lived not too far away, she also volunteered to work with him if there were any issues.

We arrived with Maggie and we introduced the two dogs. There was a little tension, but it dissipated quickly. After a while, we let them loose. She was nervous and Beau was thrilled to have a visitor. She let him follow her around and was tolerant. After about an hour, I went inside to get some paperwork to review with the adopter. I came back outside on the landing and the dogs were there and then everything that was right, went out the window.

Maggie was going after Beau and she nailed his ear and he was bleeding profusely. The puncture was very deep. I thought to myself “we will be bringing her home to try to find a new place for her”, but that turned out not to be the case. It seems that the confined area with the two dogs trying to get in the doorway at the same time, created the problem. After that flare up, all seemed well.  We got them separated and the two dogs were tolerating each other. We discussed best scenarios to make it work, and John said he wanted to foster her for 30 days and decide as long as it was clear we would take her back if there was any problem.

Every day got better and she became Maggie May after the first week. She fit right in with her new dad by stealing the cold cuts out of the bag on the ride home from the store. Beau gave her a wide berth and now they are side by side like two peas in a pod. Beau is a digger. He has a hole that is about 2 feet deep and 4 feet wide. He has a second one about 10 feet away that is smaller. Maggie May has been working on that one and it sounds like the 2 holes will become one soon.

So this rescue tale turned out well. Maggie goes to the fence next door and does not get aggressive with the pugs next door, (1 is a female.) She does not have to be on the bladder medicine. She is not attacking Beau. She and Beau go EVERYWHERE with John.

1st Week
Today Maggie &  Beau
"waiting for cookies"!

1 comment :